Thursday, November 6, 2008

God Bless America

This week we elected Barak Obama as the next president of the United States. I voted for John McCain and Sarah Palin. Lars voted for Chuck Baldwin of the Constitutionalist Party. We talked to the kids during the day about the election process and all the different candidates. We talked about redistribution of wealth and social security just enough to confuse them. Both Lars and I told the kids why we would not be voting for Barak Obama and they of course agreed with us.

Then Samantha came in from playing later, very upset to learn that Sister Cantrell had voted for Obama. She has been a primary teacher to all of them and Samantha was upset that she wouldn’t vote for the right person. Very quickly I asked Samantha, “Do you think I’m a good person?”
“Well, yeah,” she answered.
“Do you think Dad is a good person?”
“Yeah.”
“Do you think Sister Cantrell is a good person?”
“Yeah.”
“We are all good people and all voted differently.”
I didn’t say anything else about it to her. She walked away thinking and that’s what I wanted.

I remember the first time in my life that I understood that not all grown-ups agree and that not all grown-ups are right. That’s a scary thing for a kid! It’s much easier to think that all grown-ups have the answers and that everything is black and white.

Well, Samantha, welcome to the gray.

We now have our first black president. That's the good part. But now I worry for our country because I don’t believe Barak Obama will preserve and protect the Constitution. He already has so many radical ideas that go against it, but as I saw the look of hope in many faithful, god-fearing people who had elected him as he gave his acceptance speech, it gave me a little hope, too. I can pray for my president. And Barak Obama is going to be my president. Some presidents may need more prayers than others! But if I pray, and all those church-going people who voted for him pray, and if a bunch of others who are now afraid for our country pray for our president, couldn’t the Lord help him?

I think so. And while I’m at it. I’m going to pray for an abnormally long life-span and good health for conservative judges on the supreme court. Federal judges, too. It is just a matter of time before not just the executive and legislative branches of our government are liberal, but our judicial branch, too. Please, God, please bless America!

3 comments:

Russell and Jillian said...

I love your perspective on this. SO true. And we'll be praying for him too. Scary times....

Hannah said...

Thanks for reminding me, I'll add him to my list of people to pray for. I am worried that he is very green and inexperienced, but hopefully that can be a good thing. I mean maybe that means he hasn't become too involved with the wrong crowd in D.C. to not worry about going against the grain ... and maybe he will become more privy to national details, thus making him change some of his extreme liberal views.

HomeschoolRulz3 said...

It was hard to explain to Ricky why our prayers weren't answered and Mr. Obama was elected anyway. I had to have a long talk on free agency, and everyone chooses for themselves whom to vote for.

It was a great opportunity to teach the kids about our political system. It is still the best one out there and even though we don't agree with who was elected we still need to support him with our prayers.

We are taught to not speak evil of our leaders..I always thought that pertained to church leaders, but I think it also stretches out to our political leaders as well.

We can be active, educate our neighbors, find the positive and focus on those issues, etc.

Thanks for your views. I enjoy reading your blog. I'm back blogging after boycotting google in their support of the Anti Prop 8 campaign.